• Charlotte Smith

Pattern: The Granville Shirt

Designer: Sewaholic Patterns

Fabric: Minerva Crafts, 100% Cotton £10.99pm

Time Taken: 4 Hours

Most patterns that I sew are usually on my radar for months before I get round to sewing them, but this one really sneaked up on me, I saw it on my Instagram feed and knew that it would be perfect. As I work from home most days my ‘work uniform’ usually consists of jeans and t-shirts, so it was a perfect choice for everyday wear. I opted for a PDF pattern as I am really impatient and can’t wait for the post to arrive!

I have made shirts for my son and my nephew’s but they have always been short sleeved, this was the first it was the first one I made for me, with sleeves and cuffs! I really enjoyed the process, the instructions were simple to understand and it seemed to come together really quickly.

The fabric was a joy to work with as it been a while since I worked with a woven fabric, I overlocked all the seams on the inside to make them as neat as possible. I am usually between a size 12 and 14 in commercial clothes, however I made the size 12 in this pattern and the fit is absolutely perfect. For those eagle eyed ones amongst you will notice that I did have a problem with my left and right, hence the buttons being on the wrong side, however it worked out ok in the end. The only change I would make next time would be to shorten the sleeves by 1 inch as they are a little long for my short arms!

#granvilleshirt #sewaholicpatterns #minervacrafts #patternreview #thesewingjournal #sewingaddict #imakemyownclothes #lockdown2020 #sewisolation

22 views0 comments
  • Charlotte Smith

Pattern: Mini Southport Dress PDF

Designer: True Bias

Fabric: Minerva Crafts, Linen Look 100% Cotton £7.99pm

Time Taken: 5 Hours, with homemade bias binding.

Although over the years I have made a fair few dresses for my daughter, they all tend to be party dresses, suitable for a special occasion. I was really happy to find this one, its a great summer dress pattern for everyday wear.

I opted for the PDF again and got it printed and cut out in one night. For the bias binding I chose to make my own from some stripy cotton I had in my stash. I actually used the Bias binding kit that I got for Christmas a few years ago, which made it really easy.

The only bit that I found slightly tricky was the button holes, the buttons were so tiny and the fabric quite thin, I found my Husquvarna machine buttonhole attachment struggled, so I opted to use my Mum's Janome which has a better button hole foot.

The elasticated waist with ties is a very practical for this age group, as it draws the wait in without relying on the ties.

The pattern instructions were clear and well written and it made this little dress a lovely project to sew. She has already requested a pink one for our summer holiday!

#truebias #minisouthport #linenlook #minervacrafts #thesewingjournal

16 views0 comments
  • Charlotte Smith

Designer: Sew Over It London

Pattern: Poppy Playsuit

Fabric: Rayon Challis, Minerva Crafts £5.99 pm

Time taken: 4.5 hours sewing time

Poppy Playsuit - Sew Over it London

The Poppy playsuit has been on my radar for a while, it even made it onto my #makenine2019, even then I was a bit apprehensive as I didn’t really think I was a jumpsuit kind of girl. However, it appears I was wrong!

I chose the PDF pattern as I don’t mind the cutting and sticking, and I am impatient and can't wait for the postman. As this was my first try and quite a bit of fabric is required so opted for a reasonably priced Rayon Challis fabric from Minerva Crafts, it came really quickly.

The instructions were really easy to follow, I got slightly tied up on the arm cuffs but glad a persevered as I was really pleased with them, when they were finished.

I selected the 14-16 size which in hindsight was a mistake and proves you should always take your measurements carefully, so I had quite a few alternations to do and took quite a lot of width out of the trousers and bodice. I have a long body so usually have to add length to tops, so I added 1 inch here, which worked well, but had to reduce the height at the top of the trousers as my lower half is definitely shorter. I think when I remake this pattern I will take a further inch out as the only area that I am not 100% happy with is here. I added some thin cotton belt loops to stop the belt I chose moving around.

I am completely in love with this make and will definitely be making more of them!

#sewoveritlondon #poppyplaysuit #minervacrafts #thesewingjournal

27 views0 comments